On behalf of Hastings Law Firm posted in Doctor Errors on Sunday, July 27, 2014.
Almost every patient who has visited a doctor’s office or hospital has likely noticed a special disposal for syringes — implements which should be used only once. Despite this, a healthcare provider was recently accused of reusing needles. This apparent physician error ultimately led to the revocation of his license to practice medicine. Texas patients who may have similarly been subjected to a dirty syringe could have been exposed to serious illnesses.
The process to become licensed to practice in the former neurosurgeon’s state of practice is a process that, generally, only takes a few weeks to complete. However, due to medical malpractice allegations that he had faced while practicing in Texas, it took a year for The Board of Osteopathic Medicine to license him to practice there in 2004. Later, in 2013, the Bureau of Public Health initiated an investigation into the man’s prior healthcare practices.
Apparently, the investigation revealed that multiple non-sterile techniques were utilized by the physician in question. He has so far denied these accusations. He further claims that the allegations of non-sterile syringe and needle techniques were falsified from another state that he apparently also practiced in.
So far, the former neurosurgeon has refused to hand over a list of patients that he treated. The board requires this list in order to notify former patients that they were possibly exposed to serious illnesses, including HIV and both hepatitis B and C. While such a notification may come as a shock, Texas patients who were diagnosed with such a disease after being exposed to it due to a physician error may face long-lasting pain and suffering as well as costly medical bills associated with any illness. In instances such as this, successfully litigating a medical malpractice claim may provide financial recourse to help abate related costs and other financial damages.
Source: wvmetronews.com, “Doctor’s license suspended over dirty syringes”, Jennifer Smith, July 25, 2014